The New Roman Missal, Part 1

In this podcast, I engage Father Patrick Beidelman (Director of Liturgy, Archdiocese of Indianapolis) in the first of a 4 part series on the third edition of the Roman Missal. Parishes throughout the entire English-speaking world will begin using this edition on the First Sunday of Advent (27 November 2011). The third edition of the Roman Missal features significant translation revisions of the universal Latin text. Father Beidelman and I examine the meaning of the Roman Missal, a history of the work and rationale for the revised translation, and a concluding discussion on translation theory and how this directed the work of translation from Latin to English according to the Vatican document, Liturgiam authenticam.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to The New Roman Missal, Part 1

1. Jean Mair says:

Why change the missal? Personally, I don’t like any of the changes. Makes me feel like I’m a Methodist/Baptist or whatever. I love the old Catholic traditions. Sigh..guess I’m just an “old” foggy.

• Richard Balogh says:

I wonder how old Jean is. The changes are a return to tradition. What may seem like changes to you are really what was lost in translation when the English was adopted in lieu of the Latin after Vatican II.. Pick up any pre-dated St. Joeseph Missal and you will be surprised to find what you may deem as change was what was in the English side of the Missal prior to Vatican II.

2. Barbara says:

Well I’m a much older foggie than you. I hated the changes made after Vatican II to do away with the Latin Mass. The present change brings us back to the true interpretation of the Latin Mass. With the Latin Mass one could go to Mass all over the world and participate. Now I can’t go to certain Masses a few miles from my home because they are in Spanish.

3. Bill says:

I am overjoyed with the new translation. As a youngster I attended the Latin mass and had NO IDEA what was going on. MY generation is the generation that LEFT the Church or just stopped attending. BECAUSE, they got NOTHING out of the Mass. Unfortunately, although the mass was changed to the vernacular we lost the beauty and splendor of the Latin words. BECAUSE it was changed in short order, what was used was a “LOOSE” translation. Thank God, that John Paul II recognized the quality of the translation was not as accurate as it should be. NOW the new translation takes us back to the beauty of the Latin translation, but in the vernacular. Some of these words should be familiar to people who were alive and experienced the Latin Mass. The old Roman missal had both the Latin and English side by side. Should you look at the old Latin Missal, you will see that then English was and is, much more exact. This NEW translation is more faithful to the original texts.
    For those of us who might not like the coming change… give it a chance. I think this is one of the best things could happen to our Mass. NO one likes change…it isn’t easy or familiar, but soon it will become so. At the same time, this new translation will truly increase the Faith and understanding of all the Members of English speaking nations. This is NOT being done simply to make ‘change’. It is being done to give us a greater, deeper, and more EXACT understanding of the Latin translation. The Church is ‘for us’ NOT ‘against us’. Keep the faith my friends, I pray that God will help you to accept this change.

• LdC says:

I could have not said it better….I ditto all that you wrote. Excellent!!!
      I grew up with nuns, and took 4 years of Latin, still have my Diploma, and have my Sunday Missal with the Latin and the English just like you said. What I liked about the ‘true’ Mass was that there was reverence, quietness, and everyone new they came into the House of God, we wore our best for Sunday. It not need to be the latest model of clothing, just clean and no skin showing. I hope we all go back to honor God above all people and things. Put Him first and all the rest will follow in its proper place.

4. Roger Estes says:

I think that this event will result in a great awakening among Catholics to the true nature of : the reforms introduced by the Second Vatican Council; the debate between Modernists and Taditionalists and; God and our relationship with Him. Bravo Pope Benedict!

Add Comment Register